Monday, August 17, 2009

A few observations

Well some people have asked what my first impressions of Chile were/are. So here are a few things I have observed. Not in any particular order just stumblings.

- We flew into Santiago very tired with a child with bad Conjunctivitis- But there was a great view of the snow capped Andes Mountains- very pretty
- Everything is very sweet and I mean VERY sweet. The juice at breakfast tastes like 2 TBS of sugar has been added. The Bread is very very sweet- not the best for my chip sandwich I had last night.
- People who know of the Port Augusta Maccas South Aus- well let's just say they are worse here- which is such a HUGE statement
-People may bump into you here but there will not be an excuse me/sorry. I am just not used to that. I saw it happen to someone else then it happened to me yesterday.
-There is a HUGE divide between classes. There is alot of poverty and in your face here- the houses are completely different from one side to the next.
-The shops here are pretty good even have car sales in the large Shopping centre. Also I found lots of brands that I know from Aust.
-It is pretty dirty here in Antofagasta but then again we are in the desert and there is NO rain so things get very dusty.
- The beach is not like ones in Aust- the sand is not a brilliant white like those in Qld but it is supposed to be one of the best in Chile.
- I stand out so much- being a Gringa and all. Oh and especially because I speak English.
- Alyssa is already winning over so many people just with her Hola and Chao!
- I am learning a little bit of Spanish and actually and surprising myself with how much I already knew. There are a few Channels in English with Spanish subtitles.
- Grocery shopping is cheaper here.
- have to be a little more careful with personal belongings but so far have felt pretty safe on the streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment